Why this course?
As a result of both technology advances and the pandemic, the workplace is continuously being redefined. Employers have discovered that efficiency and productivity do not suffer and in many cases improve when employees have the flexibility of working remotely.
But even experienced managers find it challenging to manage people in a remote or hybrid environment. Any weakness in management style is magnified by the distance. Managers who take this course develop skills to meet these challenges effectively, so the organization can ensure that valuable employees are retained and remain productive, engaged in their work, and committed to the mission of the organization.
What makes us different?
AlexanderHancock Associates conducts extensive research to identify best practices in organizations that have mastered managing remotely. We have developed customized programs in managing remotely, training hundreds of managers in both the public and private sectors. We focus on skill building through intensive practice, helping managers learn not only what to do but also how to do it.
How will your organization benefit?
Your organization will benefit from:
- retention of valued knowledge workers in a competitive market who might otherwise lose motivation because they fear they are receiving unequal attention, with negative consequences for their careers
- improved performance as a result of clearer and more consistent communication, better follow-up, and more skillful handling of crucial conversations
- less time spent addressing conflict and problems created by poor communication
- optimizing the talents of each team member by improving the manager’s coaching skills
- greater team spirit and commitment to the common goals of the team and the mission of the organization
What will participants learn?
AlexanderHancock Associates will collaborate with you to tailor this training to fit the environment faced by your managers, and will ensure that the training fits the mission, culture, and policies of your organization.
Participants will learn:
- the challenges: what makes remote management difficult
- how to be intentional about communication when they don’t see their employees every day; how to create informal, ad hoc conversations
- skills for effective conversations (especially virtually, but also in person)
- best practices in using communication technology
- how to make the best use of in-person face time
- virtual performance management: how to handle performance issues when you’re not there to see the performance; getting commitment to improve performance
- virtual coaching: how to coach and develop skills and capabilities, both in the office and virtually; taking advantage of everyday moments to coach employees to be more successful
- virtual engagement: how to keep remote employees engaged – all the time
How does the course work?
- Before the course, participants’ direct reports are surveyed about their managers’ performance on specific remote management skills. This data will form a baseline for measuring improvement. Direct reports will be surveyed again nine to 12 months later to assess change and to ensure that the learning has been sustained.
- Participants will practice using the skills they learn in three real-life management scenarios that they are currently facing (not case studies or hypotheticals). Thus they can begin to apply their new skills immediately after the course.
- Managing Remotely typically requires 16 hours, including three video labs.
- More than 2/3 of the course time is spent in small groups in the video labs, engaging in practice and receiving coaching and peer feedback.
- Each lab group has four participants and one coach/facilitator.
How will the skills be sustained?
Sustaining the skills entails collaboration on the part of the participants, their managers, and the organization. We can offer strategies to support all three and can work with you to select and implement strategies to ensure sustainable success.
Want to learn more?
To learn more about how you can help your managers supervise and motivate remote direct reports effectively and productively, please call or email today to request a free consultation: 704-892-5097 or firstname.lastname@example.org.