Coaching and Developing Your Team
Why this course?
One of the keys to attracting and retaining highly motivated people is to provide them with opportunities to grow and excel in their careers. High-performing employees need managers who will help them to do so. Coaching and Developing Your Team provides your managers with the skills, tools, and confidence to conduct coaching conversations that help direct reports continually learn, grow, and advance in their careers.
What makes this course different?
- Coaching and Developing Your Team is radically customized for client-specific situations, needs, and culture.
- It emphasizes intensive practice and skill building, not theory; participants learn not only what to do but also how to do it – and the words to say.
- Participants learn not only by doing but also by video labs in which they see themselves as others see them, often for the first time. This approach produces the aha! moment necessary for sustained behavioral change.
What are the benefits to your organization?
These approaches produce rapid, sustained workplace behavior change – your participants will return to their jobs better able to identify and provide development opportunities for their direct reports. That attention to development is essential to recruiting and retaining highly-motivated employees. Follow-up research shows that participants are still using these tools 12 months later, thus justifying the expense of the training.
What will participants learn?
When managers have participated in this learning lab, you can expect to see them:
- confidently having important conversations with associates instead of avoiding or postponing them.
- effectively conducting regular one-on-one coaching sessions with associates through engaging and structured two-way conversations, resulting in greater openness and mutual trust.
- offering more actionable feedback, more frequently, resulting in improved associate capabilities.
- helping associates develop greater confidence, engagement, satisfaction and commitment on the job.
- engaging employees effectively in career planning discussions and guidance.
How does the course work?
- Participants will practice using the skills they learn in three real-life coaching scenarios that they are currently facing (not case studies or hypotheticals). Thus they can begin to apply their new skills immediately after the course.
- Typically, Coaching and Developing Your Team is 16 hours, including three video labs.
- More than 2/3 of this time is spent in small groups in video labs: practice, coaching, feedback.
- Each lab group has four participants and one coach/facilitator.
- Each video session covers a different kind of coaching conversation – typically a teachable moment, a progress check/preventive-maintenance conversation, and a career coaching conversation. However, these types of conversations can be customized to your organization’s needs, in consultation with you, and integrated seamlessly into your organizational culture and existing management processes.
Measuring results: pre- and post-workshop survey
Direct reports of participants take both pre- and post-course surveys in which they respond to questions about their managers’ coaching/leading/managing communication behaviors. This online survey is administered before leaders attend the training, and again 9-12 months later. Each participant receives their individual results, and senior management and HR business partners receive group summaries of results along with our analysis.
This approach provides baseline data for each manager regarding how their direct reports perceive their behaviors, as well as evidence of progress and sustainability of the skills over time. And it highlights specific behaviors that need to be improved through the skills training.
How will the skills be sustained?
Sustaining the skills entails collaboration on the part of the participants, their managers, and the organization. We can offer strategies to support all three and can work with you to select and implement strategies to ensure sustainable success.